Welcome to "Keep Calm and Carry On". I designed this blog to help me share the thoughts I have about staying centered on my life's journey. Hopefully, others will be able to find some peace and truth in the things I write, and I also hope that others will share their comments with me as we journey through this life. Remember we are all in this together.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Election Day Feelings

My husband and I voted today in the West Virginia special election for Governor. We took the boys with us, and one of them went into the voters booth with each of us. I really want to instill in them how important it is to exercise your right to vote, be patriotic and be a responsible citizen.  My parents did that for me, and I think it made me a better person.  Every time I vote, I feel so good about participating in my government. I mean, that is what it is all about in this country, isn't it? I can remember thinking when the whole Florida debacle occurred during the Presidential election between Bush and Gore, "this isn't pretty, but a lesser nation would have broken into civil unrest or even war". There was NO violence. Certainly people complained and were unhappy, but we worked through the entire process with no unrest to speak of. I don't know if people truly understand how incredible it is that we live in a nation that can stay intact through a process like that. How proud I was ~ even though I was disappointed in the final outcome  ;)
Depending on whose in office and what is going on, we all may have issues with the government from time-to-time, but what an incredible blessing it is that we can voice our feelings and debate with others without fear of imprisonment or even death. Many people don't realize the enormity of that. I do, and I am thankful everyday for the blessing of being an American. God Bless our founding fathers for their foresight. Unbelievable when you really think about it!!!! Whoo Hoo ~ America ROCKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about this post. Does it resonate with you? Does it bring a situation in your life to mind? Comments are welcome. Thanks for reading!