Welcome to "Keep Calm and Carry On". I designed this blog to help me share the thoughts I have about staying centered on my life's journey. Hopefully, others will be able to find some peace and truth in the things I write, and I also hope that others will share their comments with me as we journey through this life. Remember we are all in this together.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Taking the High Road

Taking the high road in life is not always the easiest choice. It is, however, the right choice. It may be lonely up there, but there ARE a few people on the high road. I promise. I also promise, those are the people with whom you want to surround yourself.
Sometimes it is a hard decision to take the high road. It may not be the most popular decision at the time. Sometimes it doesn't even feel good at the time. Perhaps you want to get back at someone for something bad they've done to you. Maybe you want to point out they are a hypocrit; maybe a liar; maybe they've hurt someone you love. Your first reaction might be to "attack" or lash out.
However, as we all know, it is always better to take a deep breath and step back from the situation before responding.
I know that when I take the high road, I may be the only one that knows I've taken the high road. That isn't always easy. You have to be able to feel good about feeling good INSIDE yourself.  Ask yourself, "What is the right thing to do?" TRULY the right thing. You know what that is - and don't act like you don't.

Taking the high road doesn't mean you don't stand up for yourself or that you let people walk all over you. It means you are Loving, respectful, and compassionate in your response and behavior. If you feel you have to respond to someone in a difficult situation, you can respond in a calm and kind manner being truthful and fair. However, it may also mean the best thing is to walk away. Every situation is different. You have to decide.

The truth is that making the choice to take the high road is ABOUT YOU - NOT THEM. You have to make the decision to do the right thing and stop the madness. Let it go. It is the only way to move on and not get bogged down with anger and sadness in your heart. You may be surprised at how good it feels to take the high road. It lightens the heart and makes the world a better place. It allows you to move past the anger, hurt and fear to a place of Love and light. Doesn't that sound better??? Try it. I think you'll find it a wondrous place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about this post. Does it resonate with you? Does it bring a situation in your life to mind? Comments are welcome. Thanks for reading!